Thank you to the thousands of you that have emailed and called your Councillors, the Mayor and your MPPs about transit in Toronto. We're having an impact!
Tell the TTC to save transit
Now, we need you to call the TTC Commissioners. Each of the Councillors who make up the Toronto Transit Commission represent you! Pick any of the commissioners below and take a minute to call them to let them know:
- You support the Transit City light rail plan, including the Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West, Scarborough and Sheppard LRT lines.
- City Council - your elected representatives - must have the opportunity to vote on transit expansion plans.
- You don't support service cuts to evening, weekend and seasonal service on 48 bus routes throughout our City.
- The TTC cannot delay the rollout of the 204 new modern Light Rail Vehicles that are to replace our old, crowded streetcars. Commissioners must support the LRV Maintenance and Storage Facility at Ashbridges Bay
Commissioner Karen Stintz - Chair - 416-392-4090
Commissioner Peter Milczyn - Vice Chair - 416-392-4040
Commissioner Maria Augimeri - 416-392-4021
Commissioner Vincent Crisanti - 416-392-0205
Commissioner Frank Di Giorgio - 416-392-4066
Commissioner Norm Kelly* - 416-392-4047
Commissioner Denzil Minnan-Wong* - 416-397-9256
Commissioner Cesar Palacio - 416-392-7011
Commissioner John Parker - 416-392-0215
*Commissioners Minnan-Wong and Kelly voted against public consultation on the proposed 48 bus route cuts at the TTC's January meeting.
On Wednesday February 2nd, the TTC is holding a meeting to discuss service cuts. TEA will be there with a clear message that Toronto doesn't want transit service cuts.
*Say that you want to speak about “Bus Service Reallocations and the Report on the Ashbridges Bay Maintenance and Storage Facility”.
Take action on toxics
The Provincial Toxics Reduction Act was passed in 2009 to protect workers and neighbourhoods against exposure to toxic chemicals. Still in its infancy, the Ontario government is considering changing the Act as a result of industry pressure.
Speaking out against the changes which would soften, not strengthen, toxic chemical reduction laws. Send a clear message to the Ontario government by Monday January 31st submit your comments by clicking here. See our recommendations below:
- Don't push back the deadline for companies to submit their toxic reduction plans - we can't afford to wait another year
- Do more research on health impacts of dioxins, furans and hexachlorobenzene before you consider any exemptions for companies that emit these harmful chemicals
- All Toxics Reduction Planners should be licensed and adequately trained -- please double the training time requirement from 60 to 120 hours
Volunteer to help save Toronto transit
Join a TTCriders canvass team this weekend:
Finch West - Ward 7
Saturday January 29th - 1pm
Finch West - Ward 23
Saturday January 29th - 1pm
Scarborough East - Wards 43/44
Saturday January 29th - 12pm
Eglinton West - Ward 12
Sunday January 30th - 1pm
Thanks to you...
In just a few weeks, we've mobilized volunteers to talk to people across Toronto about the impact of transit service cuts and the need for transit expansion across Toronto.
We've sent over 12,000 emails and letters to Council and the Mayor; knocked on more than 20,000 doors; coordinated 30-50 people each weekend to ride buses and go door to door in North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough to talk to transit users; had dozens of volunteerscalling TEA members to give updates; and reached out to community groups and business associationsacross the City.
We've also attended community events, city budget consultations, TTC bus cut consultations and held our own meetings with Councillors to discuss Transit.
Thanks for helping to bring better transit and clean air to Toronto!