As the world gathers in Paris to negotiate a new treaty to reduce global carbon emissions, one fact is becoming clear to leaders, negotiators and the world media: what happens in cities will be key to determining how we deal with climate disruption (also known as climate change). And here in Toronto, media have been turning to TEA for comment.
More than half of the world’s population live in cities - and Canada is no exception. It’s what we do in cities that determine how much carbon we put into the atmosphere. For example, a city that makes it easy for people to walk, cycle and use transit will put less carbon into the atmosphere than a city that relies on cars to move around. A city that promotes energy conservation by making buildings more energy efficient will emit less carbon than a city that doesn’t. And, a city that has healthy green infrastructure (eg. trees and waterways) is better able to deal with severe weather events than those covered by concrete and asphalt.
In the last week or so, Toronto media have acknowledged the importance of cities, especially as our Mayor is heading to Paris for the C40 summit. As well, they have acknowledged that TEA is the “go to” group to talk about the important role cities play. Here’s some of the recent media coverage including comments from TEA on cities and climate change.
- November 26: Toronto Star columnist Christopher Hume writes a long piece on cities and climate change, inspired by a 2-hour interview he had with Franz Hartmann. Read the Toronto Star article here.
- November 26: Toronto Star reports on a letter TEA sent to Mayor Tory as part of a breaking news story that Mayor Tory is going to the Paris climate change talks. Read the Toronto Star article here.
- November 27: CBC Radio’s Matt Gallaway mentions TEA’s letter to Mayor Tory on Metro Morning during an interview with former Mayor David Miller. Mr. Miller supports TEA’s “asks” to Mayor Tory. Hear the radio clip here.
- November 27: Toronto Star reports on cities and climate change and again quotes TEA. Read the Toronto Star article here.
- November 27: TEA’s Franz Hartmann appears on the CTV National News in a story about climate change, cities and mounting public support for action. Watch the CTV clip here.
- November 29: TEA’s Franz Hartmann appears on CBC Late Night News in a story about the climate change rally in Toronto and what Mayor Tory should talk about in Paris. Watch the CBC clip here.
- November 30: TEA’s Franz Hartmann is quoted on CBC Radio news at 6:30 am and 8:30 am on the TEA letter to Mayor Tory
- November 30: TEA’s Franz Hartmann appears as a guest on Zoomer Radio’s Dale Goldhawk Show for a 25 minute segment on TEA’s letter to Mayor Tory
- November 30: News 680 interviews Franz Hartmann on TEA’s letter to Mayor Tory.
- November 30: TEA’s Franz Hartmann appears on CBC Radio’s Here and Now to talk about the Paris Climate Change Negotiations and what Torontonians can do to reduce their carbon emissions.