The Toronto Environmental Alliance is hiring a summer Communications Assistant. This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
Full-time contract: 9 weeks at 30 hours per week
Pay: $15.00 per hour
Applications Due: Monday, June 17th
Who We Are:
Since 1988, the Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA) has campaigned locally to find solutions to Toronto's urban environmental problems. A not-for-profit organization, TEA advocates on behalf of all Torontonians for a green, healthy and equitable city. We rely on our members to help us work with communities and we act as an environmental watchdog at City Hall.
The Communications Assistant will report to TEA's Communications Officer and provide communications support to TEA’s to campaigns and development teams.
- Support content creation for social media and help to schedule posts in Hootsuite, including writing content.
- Help to maintain the TEA website, posting or updating content like blogs.
- Support digitization of TEA’s historical archive.
- Provide some data entry and data management support for TEA’s canvass team.
- Prepare infographics and/or other visual content to be used on the organization’s website, social media and in print materials. Applicants with skills in video, design, photography and/or writing will have opportunities to build these skills and create content for TEA’s communications channels.
- Support email communications, including formatting email newsletters and setting up email segments.
- Monitor and scan traditional and social media on a daily basis.
- Participate in communications meetings and communications planning.
- Help to compile metrics, update tracking documents and help maintain TEA’s NationBuilder database.
- Experience and/or education in communications or related field.
- Knowledge of digital communications including social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interest and awareness of environmental issues and environmental justice.
- Experience with graphic design, photography, videography, web design or other digital skills would be a strong asset.
- Candidates must be 30 years old or under and legally entitled to work in Canada
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as required (to attend community events and meetings)
Applications are due Monday, June 17th.
Send an email with a cover letter and resume as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Communications Assistant” in the subject line. Please address your correspondence to Jolene Cushman, Communications Officer.
In your cover letter, please confirm that you meet the Canada Summer Jobs hiring criteria (30 or under, and entitled to work in Canada).
The Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA) is committed to employment equity and creating a workplace that represents the diversity of Toronto. TEA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages members of equity-seeking groups to apply. Women, people of colour, people with Disabilities / Disabled people, Indigenous people, and those who identify as LGBTQ2S, are encouraged to apply for this position and self-identify. Unfortunately, the TEA office is not wheelchair accessible. However, TEA will make accommodations during the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with Disabilities.
Please do not call the TEA office to confirm the status of your application. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.