Toronto Environmental Alliance is hiring two full-time summer positions for people under 30 as Community Outreach Assistants to help engage communities in Toronto on our key campaigns.
Community Outreach Assistant - Summer (2 positions)
Full-time contract: 8 weeks at 35 hours per week
Pay: $15.00 per hour
Start Date: May 27 to be confirmed
Applications Due: Thursday, May 16 at noon. Early applications are encouraged as they will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Who We Are:
Since 1988, the Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA) has campaigned locally to find solutions to Toronto's urban environmental problems. A not-for-profit organization, TEA advocates on behalf of all Torontonians for a green, healthy and equitable city. We rely on our members to help us work with communities and we act as an environmental watchdog at City Hall.
TEA is hiring two contract summer positions to help with our public engagement and outreach work to promote the following TEA initiatives:
- Our Zero Waste High-Rise project that is working with a group of buildings to identify effective approaches to reduce waste.
- Our Climate Change campaign focused on engaging residents on the local impacts of climate change and developing community-based solutions.
- Support TEA’s community engagement work:
- Liaise with community members and organizations across Toronto (with a focus on Spadina-Fort York)
- Represent TEA at community meetings, events and festivals
- Coordinate event logistics, assemble outreach materials (flyers, sign up sheets, etc) and customize presentations.
- Related administrative tasks including new member data entry, event reporting
- Support TEA projects with background research on local environmental concerns, transcribing notes and summarizing content as requested.
- Support research aspects of TEA’s Zero Waste High Rise project with data collection at buildings such as surveys, interviews, site visits and helping with waste audits.
- Candidates must be 30 years old or under and legally entitled to work in Canada
- Able to begin work as early as May 21.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as required (to attend community events and meetings)
- Excellent communication skills and organizational skills
- Enthusiastic and comfortable with engaging the public in face-to-face conversations
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Strong commitment to environmental justice and anti-oppression
Any of the following skills/experience will be considered assets:
- Presentation skills including public speaking
- Knowledge of zero waste or climate change issues
How to apply:
Applications are due Thursday, May 16 at noon, but early applications are encouraged as they will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Send an email with a cover letter and resume as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Community Outreach Assistant” in the subject line. Please address your correspondence to Heather Marshall, Campaigns Director. In your cover letter, please confirm that you meet the Canada Summer Jobs hiring criteria (30 or under, and entitled to work in Canada).
The Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA) is committed to employment equity and creating a workplace that represents the diversity of Toronto. TEA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages members of equity-seeking groups to apply. Women, people of colour, people with Disabilities / Disabled people, Indigenous people, and those who identify as LGBTQ2S, are encouraged to apply for this position and self-identify. Unfortunately, the TEA office is not wheelchair accessible. However, TEA will make accommodations during the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with Disabilities.
Please do not call the TEA office to confirm the status of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.