What do Torontonians think about waste? In the summer of 2014, the City held four Public Consultation sessions, attended events and took a survey of public ideas and thoughts on dealing with Toronto's waste for the next 50 years.
Results of the City Long Term Waste Plan survey #1:
- 460 people completed the survey
- 83% reported using the annual waste collection calendar to get information
- 70% had not been to a City Drop-Off depot
- only 35% have been to a Community Environment Day in their ward
- People wish they could recycle: more plastics, coffee cups
- What would make it easier to create less waste and recycle/compost more: less packaging, getting green bins in their apartment or condo, and more educational information.
Read the City's Project Update #2 to see some of the highlights of the public comments.
Read the full staff update on the Long Term Waste Plan for the January 2015 Public Works & Infrastructure Committee.