TEA's Zero Waste High-Rise Project studies how high-rise buildings can become zero waste leaders, and shares success stories to inspire even more buildings to reduce waste. By participating in the project, you can take meaningful action to reduce waste and support valuable research on waste reduction in high-rise buildings.
Join a community of residents and staff from buildings across Toronto, and participate in an online program with virtual learning sessions, guides, and tools to walk you through creating a zero waste action plan for your building.
We're ramping up support and events to help buildings take action in early 2021
- A limited number of micro-grants up to $500 will be available to support Toronto buildings
- TEA will recognize and celebrate buildings that have taken action by March 14th
- Building residents and staff can sign up for Question & Answer sessions with TEA staff, and attend virtual tours of leading buildings
Micro-grants available for Toronto buildings
This project is funded by a grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation. A limited number of micro-grants up to $500 are available for Toronto buildings to help them participate in the project, take action, and report the results to TEA.
- Funds will be available for ‘hard’ costs to improve waste diversion in the building - for example bins, shelving, tools and custom signs. Consumable supplies (e.g. bags, gloves), staffing or event costs are not eligible.
- Buildings must complete all forms from stages 1, 2 and 3 in the online pathway and submit an Action Plan by February 15th (New Deadline). Applicants must complete their Action Plan by March 14th and submit a progress report.
- Building teams should contact TEA ([email protected]) to discuss their ideas and costs before February 15th. Further application details will be available in January for eligible buildings.
Celebrating and recognizing success
TEA will recognize and celebrate the achievements of buildings participating in the project in 2021. Residents and staff will get an opportunity to share their success, hear from other buildings, and be recognized for their waste reduction efforts. Building teams can help TEA inspire more buildings to become zero waste leaders by taking action and reporting on their progress by March 14th.
Help build the zero waste high-rise movement
Participants in the project will help their own building while also contributing to valuable research by TEA and University of Toronto partners. This research will be used to develop programs and resources to help more buildings move towards zero waste.
Join the project
- Start the online pathway to assess your building’s opportunities and create an action plan here
- Sign up to attend an orientation session or a coaching session.
- Review resources, guides, and recordings of past learning sessions.
- Apply for the micro-grant on our website.
The Zero Waste High-Rise Project is funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario, and receives research support from the University of Toronto, with funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.